- Name and address of the Organization
National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language, M/o Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education, Government of India
- Head Office :
Farogh-e-Urdu Bhawan, FC-33/9, Institutional Area, Jasola, New Delhi- 110025
Ph: 011-49539000, Fax : 011-49539099
- Sale-cum-Exhibition Centre :
West Block – 8, Wing No. VII, R.K. Puram, New Delhi- 110066
Ph: 011-26109746, Fax : 011-26108159
- South Region Branch :
22-7-110, III Floor, Sajid Yar Jung Complex, Block No. 1-5, Pathergatti, Hyderabad–500002, Telangana
- Head of the organization
- Vision, Mission and Key objectives
- To promote, develop and propagate Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages.
- To take action for making available in Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages the knowledge of scientific and technological development as well as knowledge of ideas evolved in the modern context.
- To advise the Government of India on issues connected with Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages and having bearing on education as may be referred to it.
- To undertake other projects for the promotion of Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages as may be deemed fit by the Council.
- Functions & Duties
- To undertake the production of literature in the Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages, including books on science and other branches of modern knowledge, the children's literature textbooks, reference works, encyclopedia, dictionaries, etc.
- To collect and evolve technical terms relating to various disciplines of knowledge in order to enrich the Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages.
- To undertake and provide for the publication of journals and periodicals in furtherance of its objects.
- To arrange for the sale of publications and their exhibitions both inside and outside the country on from time to time.
- To promote and help in the development of computerization with a view to developing the Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages to meet the advanced technological requirements of the age.
- To formulate/implement schemes and projects for the teaching of the Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages through the mediums of English and Hindi and other Modern Indian Languages including, teaching through the correspondence courses.
- To liaise with the State Governments and other agencies in matters relating to promotion and development of the Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages.
- To provide financial assistance and guidance to Non-Government Organizations for the propagation of the Urdu, Arabic & Persian languages.
- To co-ordinate the activities of the state Urdu, Arabic & Persian academies.
- To subscribe to or become a member of or to co-operate with any other association or institute whose objects are similar.
- To obtain or accept subscriptions, donations, grants, gifts, devices and bequests from any person, corporation or institution in furtherance of the objectives of society.
- To sell, manage, transfer, exchange, mortgage, demise, disposed off or otherwise deal with any property, belonging to the Council, provided, however, that no immovable property of the Council shall be transferred or disposed of in any manner whatsoever without prior approval of the Central Government.
- To borrow and raise money with or without security or on the security of a mortgage, charge or hypothecate or pledge over all or any of the properties belonging to the Council.
- To invest and deal with any money of the Council not immediately required for any of its objects in such a manner as may be determined from time to time by the Council.
- To draw, make, accept, endorse and discount cheques, notes and/or other negotiable instruments.
- To make rules and bye-laws for the conduct of the affairs of the Council, and to amend, vary or rescind them from time to time with the concurrence of the Central Government.
- To maintain a fund to which shall be credited :
- All money provided by the Central Govt.
- All fees and other charges received by the Council.
- All money received by the Council by way of grants, gifts, donations, benefactions, bequests or transfer,
- All money received by the Council in any other manner or from any other source.
- To deposit all money credited to the fund in such banks or to invest in such a manner as the Council may, with prior approval of the Central Government decide.
- To acquire by gift, purchase, exchange, lease or otherwise whatsoever any land, buildings and property and to deal with the properties belonging to vested in the Council in such a manner as the Council may deem fit for the furtherance of all or any of its objects.
- To meet the expenses of the Council including expenses incurred in the exercise of its powers and discharge of its functions out of its own funds.
- To maintain proper accounts and other relevant records and prepare an annual statement of accounts including the balance sheet in such form as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- To submit annually to the Central Government annual report of its activities and the accounts of the Council-certified in the manner that may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- To constitute sub-committees or committee as it may deem fit.
- To undertake such other activities as may be conducive to the aforesaid objects of the society.
- Organization Chart
Organizational Chart is attached at Annexure ‘I’
- Any other details-the genesis, inception, formation of the department and the HoDs from time to time as well as the committees/ Commissions constituted from time to time have been dealt
National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL) was established as an autonomous body under the administrative control of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Education, Government of India and started its academic and administrative operations during IX Plan w.e.f. 01.04.1996. NCPUL is registered under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860. Certificate of Registration is attached at Annexure ‘II’.
NCPUL was declared as national Nodal Agency for the promotion of Urdu language in the country and recognized as an important autonomous organization of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India devoted to the promotion of Urdu language and mainstreaming of Urdu education.
NCPUL has also been assigned the additional responsibility of promotion of Arabic & Persian languages which have played an important role in the development of the composite culture of India.
Click here for Annual Report
Click here for Financial Statements of Accounts